Friday 26 February 2016

Shaping my inquiry

Throughout Module 1 I  came to the conclusion that I wanted to explore choreography and artistic collaborations as part of my inquiry.  Joining the Module 2 group skype was very beneficial and made the concept of researching a lot clearer.
Concerning this topic, I will be researching in the following areas:

-Choreographers talking/reviewing their own work
-Other people reviewing/setting a choreographer’s work
-Choreography as a concept, its definition
-Artistic collaborations that involve choreography.
-The ways of documenting choreography

I am particularly passionate about the field of modern dance and wish to know more about different choreographer's creative process so I can shape my own in order to one day put on my choreographies on stage.

I would really appreciate if fellow students could get involved in my topic, share their experience, knowledge, sources.






2 comments:

  1. Hi, hope you are getting on well so far with module 2.
    It's great that you have a few ideas for your research, especially if it is something that is really inspiring to you. Do you have any thoughts on which choreographers you may research?
    I am looking into communication of current affairs through performance arts as a possible idea. I would love to hear your opinions on choreographers you think may already do this, or how you would go about choreographing a piece based on a news story?

    Your last point on ways to document choreography, have you studied Laban notation? I studied it at school and really found it interesting as to how times have changed. From long winded symbols and codes on a page to document, to now just picking up our I phones and recording. It's amazing just how much technology can affect the way in which the arts work.

    Look forward to hearing from you
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ami! There's a lot to do in a short amount of time!

      It's funny that you are mentioning this because I am reading a research that was made by the'Centre National de la Danse' about modern dance and literature. A piece is mentioned and should certainly interest you: 'Ce que j'appelle oubli' by Angelin Preljocaj. He is a French choreographer. The piece is inspired by a book that bears the same name by Laurent Mauvignier. The book was inspired by a newspaper article about a man who got killed by a supermarket staff for having stolen a can of beer. I read the book and It is absolutely beautiful and really short, there might be an English translated version.

      I am studying 20th century choreographers, mostly in the modern dance era, I have read about Isadora Duncan, Nijinsky, Anne Teresa de Keersmakeer, Angelin Preljocaj, Pina Bausch and others and I am also rehearsing William Forsythe's In The Middle Somewhat Elevated with one of his trustee. I am really hoping to gain knowledge through that process.

      Thank you for your comment and please let me know if you need further information about the piece I mentioned.

      Kind regards,

      François

      Delete